BEHIND THE WHEEL
CHECK OUT THIS SAMPLE LESSON PLAN
INTRODUCE YOURSELF TO PARENTS
DEMONSTRATING (20 Mins)
1. The instruments of the car: demonstration of starting car, shutting engine off, gas, brake,
turning on/off lights/high beams, blinkers (up right, down left), wiper blades, horn
a. Shifting from park to driver, drive to reverse, reverse to park..etc
2. Demonstration: Position of hands 10 and 2 or 3 and 9
3. Demonstration: Hand-over-hand turning, one two method...to the right then to the left.
4. Demonstration: Applying brake and gas..Gradual, Gentle
5. Demonstration: Approaching a turn
2. Slow down to 10 miles per hour
3. Release brake
4. Turn hand over hand, the one two method…to the right...then to the left (wider turn)
6. Demonstration: Turning from a stop, release brake...let car roll...then apply gas gently (no more
than 5 miles per hour) while turning hand over hand..one two method, hold the wheel...when in
lane release wheel, let slip back to ten and two. Or turn back straight to ten and two.
7. Demonstration: Driving in reverse: Release Brake slowly and gently
IN PARKING LOT (40 Mins)
8. Student behind the Wheel: Instruments of the Car (in park) blinkers, lights, horn
a. Foot over brake, foot over gas-right heel anchored on the floor of car pivoting back and forth.
b. One Two method turning hand-over-hand: One (hands crossed at ten and two...right hand at 10 and and left at 2. Two: keep turing, left hand back at 10 and right hand back at 2.
c. Shifting from park to drive..release brake let car roll, apply gas gently... then apply brake gently.
d. Turning...set up cones, have students practice turning hand over hand one two method making figure 8s around the cones, pulling in parking spaces and backing out.
e. Practice pulling over to the curb.
ON THE ROAD (60 Mins)
9. Student on side streets: Speed control, turning hand-over-hand at 10 miles per hour around turns,
turning from stops. Once they are comfortable and get the mechanics, move on to main roads.
a. Please remind the students that what they have learned thus far will be more challenging
on the main roads due to heavier traffic-as long as they concentrate on your instruction,
they will execute. You are their eyes and ears, they just concentrate on the mechanics.
Obviously, they still will check traffic but you instruct when to use the instruments of car.
b. While driving, establish a good following distance..at least 3 to 5 seconds behind the
car in front of you.
c. Call out the traffic signs..yellow warning….”This sign is warning us that there is a tight
bend in the road coming up”, “These signs indicate only left lane and right lane”
d. K turns/Parallel Parking